International students

Links to free legal information and services for NSW international students.

On this page

Common legal issues for international students

International students may experience problems while studying away from home.

Redfern Legal Centre's International Student Legal Service NSW provides free legal help to international students enrolled to study anywhere in NSW. 

We can help you with issues including:

  • Housing problems
  • Problems at work
  • Sexual assault and sexual harassment
  • Complaints about colleges or universities
  • Fines
  • Debts
  • Car accidents
  • Discrimination
  • Family law issues
  • Domestic violence
  • Some Subclass 500 visa issues (RLC cannot advise on other visa types or permanent residency)

Using our service is safe, confidential and free. You can talk to us privately about any issues that are troubling you. If we cannot help, we will put you in touch with other organisations that can.

request advice

The service is funded by Study NSW, a unit of the NSW Government set up to support international students across the state. In-kind support is provided by City of Sydney.

The International Student Legal Service NSW is independent of government. 

Two logos side by side: NSW Government and Study NSW

Our services

We provide free and confidential legal advice to overseas students enrolled to study anywhere in NSW. Our international student team can also work with other RLC services to help you address legal and non-legal issues.

Distressed woman with hand on head holds a pencil in other hand - orange tinted image

Free, confidential legal advice for people across NSW experiencing financial abuse by an intimate partner or ex-partner.
Group of police stand backs away from camera image tinted orange

Free and confidential legal advice for people across NSW about police powers.

How to contact us

To request free legal advice:

complete our online form call 02 9698 7277

If we are able to advise you, we will arrange for a solicitor to call you back. If we are not able to assist you we may refer you to other services and resources, including those listed below. Learn more about accessing our services.

How we can help: Jai's story

Jai* was an international student who moved into an apartment building he saw advertised online.

The landlord deducted Jai’s rent from his credit card, but Jai soon realised he was also being charged additional amounts for cleaning and administration. These unauthorised charges did not form part of Jai’s rental agreement, and were for services not even being carried out.

Jai soon discovered other international students in the building were also being charged for services they had not requested or received. Emails to the landlord went unanswered. Upon moving out of the property, the landlord failed to return the students’ rental bond.

Jai and 17 other students went to RLC’s International Student Legal Service NSW for advice. RLC drafted letters of demand which the landlord sought to avoid by changing their registered business address. RLC identified the new registered business address, resulting in the recovery of over $36,000 for the students

* Name has been changed

I can’t express my gratitude towards RLC. I would like to thank you sincerely for helping international students, because you people are only ray of hope for students, staying away from family.

Learn more about International Student Legal Service NSW


Overlapping coloured speech bubbles that say "Do you need legal help" in multiple languages

Information in other languages

Multi-language information produced by Redfern Legal Centre.

International students news

© Redfern Legal Centre 1977 - 2022

Gadigal Land, PO Box 1805,
Strawberry Hills NSW 2012