Looking for share accomodation? Check out RLC's Share Housing Survival Guide

With uni back in session for another year, it's a busy time for students looking for accommodation.

Share housing is a good option for many students, but finding a place to live can be daunting, especially if you're moving out of home for the first time or you're studying interstate or overseas, far away from family and friends.

RLC's Share Housing Survival Guide is a great starting point for anyone seeking advice on share house living in NSW. This online resource is designed specifically with students in mind, and provides a mix of practical and legal information for people in share housing.

Tips for smarter sharing 

Living in a share house can be a great way to reduce the cost of renting and make friends, but it's a good idea to set up few ground rules to keep things running smoothly.

Current tenancy laws are not always helpful in dealing with share housing arrangements and disputes, which is why it is important to communicate with your housemates before serious problems arise. 

Our share housing guide outlines everything you need to know about finding a place to live and tips on how to manage living arrangements once you've settled in. Topics covered include:

What if things go wrong?

In any household things won't always be smooth sailing. We provide helpful tips on resolving disagreements and non-violent conflicts that often come up when groups of people live together.

The guide also contains useful information about understanding your rights if major difficulties arise. If you need help claiming our bond or resolving other issues between housemates or your landlord, see The Legal Situation. Domestic Violence provides important information about what to do if your housemates become violent towards you.

Understanding your rights

Your rights and responsibilities in a share house depend on your legal status, that is, whether you are a tenant, sub-tenant, boarder or lodger. If a dispute arises and you are not sure what your status is, you can apply to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal for a decision on the matter. Our guide has information on this process and links to other contact points and useful resources.

If you think you've been treated unfairly and you'd like legal advice, you can call RLC's Inner Sydney Tenants Service on 02 9698 5975. We assist tenants living in Inner City Sydney, including parts of Sydney’s Inner West and Inner South. 

If you are living are outside of our catchment area we can still help you with a referral. RLC's International Student Legal Service NSW also provides free legal advice to international students statewide.