Last chance to apply for international student COVID-19 crisis accommodation
Applications to a groundbreaking NSW Government scheme offering temporary crisis accommodation to international students in NSW are set to close this month, but there is still time for students in need to apply.
Redfern Legal Centre (RLC) was proud to help inform the development of this important NSW Government initiative providing international students with free crisis accommodation.
Working with a network of 15 government student accommodation and homestay providers, this $20 million dollar scheme was rolled out through Study NSW and Service NSW during COVID-19, and has placed almost 5,500 international students into secure temporary accommodation.
The scheme has provided a much needed safe home, comfort and support to international students facing extreme hardship throughout the pandemic.
Applications to the scheme will close 5pm, Friday 12 February 2021, but it will continue running until 1 July 2021.
International students who apply on or before the application closing date may be eligible for up to 20 weeks accommodation with NSW Government student accommodation and homestay providers. Arrangements for international students already placed in the scheme will not be impacted.
How to apply
- Visit the Service NSW website and select the 'Apply online' button.
- Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
- Complete the online form. Upload your supporting documents. Review and submit your application.
- Your application will be assessed by Service NSW and if they need further information, one their staff members will contact you. If your application is approved, your accommodation will be allocated and Service NSW will notify you of the next steps.
If you have any questions about the application process, please visit a Service NSW service centre or call the 24/7 Service NSW Hotline on 13 77 88.
Read more about the scheme and watch RLC's tip of the week video below.
Other supports for international students
If you need assistance, Study NSW has also made available a number of other supports for international students in NSW during COVID-19:
- Access free 15kg food hampers through its Foodbank partnership. Over 62,000 hampers are available to international students in NSW. Each hamper is valued at $80
- Free legal support and advice through Redfern Legal Centre's International Student Legal Service NSW
- Download My Legal Mate for free legal support in seven languages
- Visit the Study NSW International Student Welfare Services Hub
- Access mental health and wellbeing support