PLT volunteer placement – expression of interest
You may express interest up to 6 months ahead of your PLT start date. Applications will be placed on a register. We will contact you to discuss opportunities as they arise. Some places may be filled well in advance of the start date, so it is in your interests to express interest early.
RLC works to redress inequalities in the legal system that adversely and disproportionately affect people experiencing vulnerability. The Centre pursues social change and law reform to reduce these inequalities.
Our legal services include employment law, tenancy, credit and debt, financial abuse, police accountability, a health justice partnership and an international student legal service. Read more about our services here.
Responsibilities include client intake, file review, general administration, research, legal drafting, interviewing clients, drafting content for submissions, articles and e-bulletins, and follow-up on client matters, under supervision of the practice solicitor.
Essential selection criteria
- Completion of law degree and eligibility to start Practical Legal Training. Availability - 75 days preferred, plus available any specific days of the week (listed in Additional Criteria below)
- A strong interest in the work of the specific RLC practice/s applied for.
- Understanding of and commitment to social justice
- Experience in administration and/or customer service
- Strong understanding of ethical practice issues affecting community legal centres, including confidentiality and conflict of interest
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to work in our offices in Redfern
Vaccination: All staff and volunteers at RLC must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Desirable selection criteria
1. Ability to speak a relevant community language
2. Previous Intake Team experience or other volunteer role at Redfern Legal Centre will be highly regarded.
Additional selection criteria (by practice area)
- Financial Abuse Service: Available 2 days per week, on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- International Student Legal Service: Current or former international student preferred.
- Health Justice Partnership: An appreciation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- First Nations Legal Practice - please see this paid PLT position.
- Tenancy Practice - no additional criteria.
- Police Accountability Practice - no additional criteria.
- Employment Law Practice - no additional criteria.
- Credit, Debt & Consumer Practice - no additional criteria.
Applicants must complete the online application form, and upload the following documents:
- A cover letter addressing each of the essential selection criteria, and the additional selection criteria for the practice/s you are interested in, using separate numbered headings. Applications that do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
- A resume including education, relevant experience and two or three referees (include name, relationship and contact details).
- Your academic transcript.
If you have any queries, email firstname.lastname@example.org.