Money Problems & Consumer Complaints
What is this service?
We offer free, confidential legal information, advice and advocacy for people experiencing money problems or who have consumer complaints. Sometimes money problems don't feel legal but they may have a legal solution.
Common issues include:
- Owing someone money that you cannot pay back
- Being owed money (please note we do not advise businesses)
- Credit card debts
- Problems with utilities providers, such as electricity and gas
- Problems with telephone bills
- Faulty goods or failure to provide services
How to access this service
Fill in the online enquiry form or call us on (02) 9698 7277.
Catchment and Eligibility
Redfern Legal Centre's geographical catchment area includes:
Alexandria; Annandale; Balmain; Beaonsfield; Botany; Camperdown; Chippendale; Darlington; Eastlakes; Erskineville; Glebe; Haymarket; Hillsdale; Leichhardt; Lilyfield; Mascot; Millers Point; Newtown; Pagewood; Pyrmont; Redfern; Rosebery; Rozelle; St Peters; Surry Hills; Sydney; Ultimo; Waterloo and Zetland.
This is not an exhaustive list of the suburbs we cover. Please call us on (02) 9698 7277 to see you are in our catchment area. If you fall outside of our catchment area we will refer you to a community legal centre closer to you. However, if you are seeking advice in an area of law that we can assist in, we may still be able to make an appointment for you.
Enter your postcode into Looking for Legal Advice? to find your local community legal centre.
Supporting Financial Counsellors in NSW
RLC is here to provide legal information, advice and support to financial counsellors in NSW. If you have a question about credit, debt and consumer law, don't hesitate to contact our Credit and Debt Solicitor on 9698 7277.
- Consumer Credit Legal Centre - for general credit information
- MoneySmart - for simple guidance to help you make smart choices about money
- Australian Securities and Investment Commission - for consumer protection
- Australian Financial Security Authority - for bankruptcy
- NSW Fair Trading - for complaints about service providers
- State Debt Recovery Office (SDRO) - for fines
- My Consumer Rights Videos (Arabic, Dinka, English, Farsi, Karen, Nepalese and Tamil) - an educational resource to help provide English language students and newly arrived migrants with basic information dealing with buying goods and services in Australia.