NSW Government announces temporary crisis accommodation and other supports for international students facing hardship
International students in NSW can now apply for temporary crisis accommodation funded by the NSW Government in partnership with quality student accommodation and homestay providers.
The NSW Government is providing a $20 million package for international students who are stranded in Australia due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The package includes:
- a temporary crisis accommodation scheme delivered through quality student accommodation and homestay providers
- increased support via RLC's International Legal Service NSW and availability of 50,000 free subscriptions to RLC's multilingual app, My Legal Mate
- a dedicated 24/7 international student support hotline (13 77 88) offering free advice and information about medical, mental health, legal, emergency and other support.
The crisis accommodation is available for international students in genuine need, who:
- hold an international student visa
- have lost, or are at risk of losing, access to secure accommodation
- have less than $1500 in savings
- have no other avenues of support.
What you need
- MyServiceNSW Account
- your personal and contact details
- documentary evidence that you meet all the eligibility requirements.
View the eligibility criteria and apply at www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/apply-international-student-covid-19-crisis-accommodation or call the NSW Government COVID-19 hotline on 13 77 88.
Further information about NSW Government supports available to international students is available here