Free employment law advice for international students

Have you been underpaid at work? Are you being unfairly treated by your boss? Do you want to know more about your employment rights?

RLC provides international students studying in NSW with free legal advice and representation on employment law issues.

We can assist you with issues like:

  • Working out whether you have been underpaid
  • Recovering unpaid and underpaid wages and entitlements
  • Unfair dismissal
  • Help standing up for your rights at work

Below are some tips and information that can help you if you think you might be being underpaid at work.

Wage theft: know the signs

If you are: 

  • not being paid properly (less than $20.33/hour)
  • not being paid at all
  • not being paid for working late at night or on weekends (penalty rates)
  • not being paid for entitlements such as annual leave, sick leave, long service leave or redundancy pay

you are most likely a victim of wage theft, and you have the legal right to recover what you are owed.


Download RLC's factsheet

Underpaid at Work (English)
Underpaid at Work (Chinese - simple)

If you need help with an underpayment issue, or any other employment law matter, you can call Redfern Legal Centre for free advice and referrals on 02 9698 7277.

We can arrange for a free telephone interpreter if you need one. International students can also contact us using our online form. 

Video resources

Redfern Legal Centre often hears from international students and other migrant workers who are being exploited by employers who do not pay correctly or deny other workplace entitlements.

Watch these short videos to learn more:

Record My Hours app

FWO's Record My Hours app makes it quick and easy for employees to record and store the hours they work, plus other information about their employment.

Don’t want to take legal action right now?

It is important to remember that you have six years to bring your unpaid wages claim from the date you were underpaid. If you would like to discuss your case with RLC, call us on 02 9698 7277. Anything you tell us will be kept confidential. 

To call us using a free telephone interpreter, call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450, and ask them to call us on 9698 7277.

See also: Support for international students during COVID-19