Want to volunteer with Redfern Legal Centre? Submit your expression of interest online.
Volunteer solicitor opportunities
Redfern Legal Centre relies upon the dedication of experienced volunteer solicitors to help us meet legal demand. We only have limited openings for additional volunteers throughout the year, but encourage you to submit an expression of interest online.
Volunteer solicitors provide advice on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly roster. The majority of advice is via telephone. Applicants may apply in one of four legal areas, in accordance with their skills and experience:
- Police and government accountability
- International students service
- Credit, debt and consumer complaints
Due to the high number of applications we receive, we will only contact you should a suitable opportunity arise. If you have specific questions about volunteering, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer lawyers are expected to attend on their rostered time. The Centre's advice service depends on the reliability of volunteers. While we understand that illness and other demands can make this difficult, we are unable to accommodate volunteers on the roster who cannot regularly attend.
- Staffing a face-to-face and telephone advice shift on a weekly or fortnightly basis
- Interviewing clients and providing advice
- Accurately recording advice given on advice forms
- Accurately obtaining and recording statistical information from clients
- Following Professional Indemnity Insurance requirements.
- A current NSW Practising Certificate
- 12 months post-admission experience
- Minimum 12 months commitment to prompt and reliable attendance
- A high level of communication skills
- A high level of personal motivation
- Whilst under supervision, an ability to provide accurate advice in face-to-face and telephone interviews
- A capacity to be accountable to RLC policies and procedures
- Sensitivity to diverse cultural and political backgrounds and a respect for multiculturalism and diversity.
How to apply
Applications for Volunteer Solicitor positions are open all year round. Once received, your application will be added to a queue. As positions become available, the supervising solicitor of that advice night will choose suitable applicants from queued applications. Applicants with experience relevant to RLC areas of law will be given priority.
Please complete the online application form and attach:
- A current resume
- A copy of your practising certificate
- A copy of a physically signed and dated confidentiality agreement (download form below).
Section 122 of Legal Profession Uniform Law (NSW) requires persons seeking to work or volunteer at a legal practice to disclose any previous convictions for ‘serious offences’. Please see the Act for the definition of ‘serious offences’.
Section 122 of Legal Profession Uniform Law (NSW) also requires anyone who is a ‘disqualified person’ seeking to work or volunteer at a legal practice to disclose that they are a ‘disqualified person’. See the Act for the definition of ‘disqualified person’.
Due to the high volume of applications received, applicants will only be contacted when there are appropriate vacancies.