Resources: Fines and Penalty Notices
Webinar: Traffic, parking & COVID-19 fines: What are your payment & review options?
Presented July 2020 - watch one hour video on facebook, free of charge.
- Penalty Notices – Your Review Rights and Payment Options
- Court Fines – Your Review Rights and Payment Options
TRAINING: Fines and Penalty Notices 1 & 2
|The resources below complement our community worker training on this topic.|
|Next training dates: TBA probably in 2021|
|RLC can also run training at your agency – contact Nick Manning firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 8037 8001.|
Where does this information apply? The information below only applies to NSW (Australia). Check each publication for its publication date.
Revenue NSW /SDRO
Revenue NSW was previously called State Debt Recovery Office (SDRO). Occasionally in resource material the name State Debt Recovery or SDRO may still be used.
Fines: fact sheets and guides
Fined Out: A practical guide for people having problems with fines - website and PDF
Fines and their enforcement - PDF fact sheet by Shopfront Youth Legal Centre
Fines - web pages by LawAccess
Information for advocates
Advocacy groups - Revenue NSW web page for advocates
Advocacy Hotline for Information about Clients with Fines - PDF fact sheet by State Debt Recovery
Review Guidelines - PDF by Revenue NSW
- Application for review of penalty notice: http://www.sdro.nsw.gov.au/lib/docs/forms/sdr_pn_015.pdf
- Sample request for review: http://www.lawaccess.nsw.gov.au/Pages/representing/lawassist_fines/lawassist_forms_fine/lawassist_sample_request_review_penalty_notice.aspx
Challenging penalty in Court
- Application to have penalty decided in court: http://www.sdro.nsw.gov.au/lib/docs/forms/sdr_pn_020.pdf
- Sample submissions for Court – guilty plea : http://www.lawaccess.nsw.gov.au/Pages/representing/lawassist_fines/lawassist_forms_fine/lawassist_sample_submission_to_court.aspx
- Sample character reference: http://www.lawaccess.nsw.gov.au/Pages/representing/lawassist_fines/lawassist_forms_fine/lawassist_sample_character_reference_guilty.aspx
Application for annulment of enforced fine:
- online questionnaire and application: http://forms.sdro.nsw.gov.au/form/42084801356
- paper form - see "Other Files" below
Work and Development Orders
Work and Development Orders: Breaking the cycle of fines debt - 12 minute Legal Aid video
- Work and Development Order Service - Legal Aid web page
Work and Development Orders - PDF fact sheet by State Debt Recovery
Most community legal centres provide free, confidential advice on fines.
Legal Aid can give free, confidential advice on fines
RLC Powerpoint presentations are below.