Media Alert: Panel Discussion: Does NSW Have a Strip Search Problem?
This Thursday, 16 May at 6pm, Redfern Legal Centre (RLC) is hosting a free panel discussion on strip search laws in New South Wales. The event is a part of RLC's ‘Safe and Sound’ campaign.
Launched in November last year, the Safe and Sound campaign is advocating for a change to NSW strip-search laws in order to provide improved safeguards for the public and better guidance for police: www.safeandsound.org.au.
'Does NSW have a strip search problem?'
Date: Thursday 16 May
Place: Redfern Town Hall, 73 Pitt St, Redfern
- Jane Sanders (Principal Solicitor, Shopfront Youth Legal Centre)
- David Shoebridge (NSW Greens MP)
- Samantha Lee (Head of Police Accountability, RLC)
The expert panel will discuss:
- The increase in strip searches in NSW
- The political landscape for change to the laws
- The legal rights of those subjected to a strip search
- The growing campaign to change strip-search laws in NSW
Tickets to this free community event can be booked at: bit.ly/stripsearchNSW
RLC has also commissioned a report from UNSW Law to compare the operation of police strip search laws in NSW with other jurisdictions across Australia and internationally, to be released soon.
For further information contact: Finn O’Keefe, RLC Communications Manager: 02 9698 7277 | 0424 548 019 | email@example.com