Factsheet No. 4: Strip searches and your rights
This factsheet answers some frequently asked questions about strip searches and your rights.
A strip search must only be conducted by NSW police when an officer suspects on reasonable groundsa strip search is necessary for the purposes of the search and that the seriousness and urgency of the circumstances make the strip search necessary
This factsheet answer questions including:
- When can police conduct a strip search?
- What constitutes reasonable suspicion?
- What must police tell you before conducting a strip search?
- How should police conduct a strip search?
- What clothing can police ask you to take off?
- Can I ask a friend to be present during the search?
- Can police touch my body?