Factsheet No. 2: Police Complaints
This fact sheet answers some frequently asked questions about making a formal police complaint in NSW.
You have a right to complain about any interactions with a police officer, other employee of the NSW Police Force, or the NSW Police Force as an agency. Not all issues that you can complaint about will warrant a formal investigation.
This fact sheet includes information on the following topics:
- Common types of police complaints
- What can I complain about?
- Who can I complain to?
- How do I lodge a complaint?
- What should I write in my complaint?
- What happens after I make a complaint?
- I’m unhappy with the outcome of my complaint, what can I do?
- Is there a time limit for making a complaint?
- Are there consequences for making a complaint?
- Do I have to make a formal complaint?