Factsheet No. 1: FAQs About Police Powers
This factsheet answers some frequently asked questions about police powers in NSW.
A police officer may search you if they suspect on reasonable grounds that you are in possession of stolen goods; dangerous goods or weapons; or illegal drugs.
This factsheet answers questions including:
- How should I respond if I am approached by a sniffer dog?
- When can a police officer search me?
- What are police allowed to do when they search me?
- Do I have to give my name and address?
- What is bail?
- What happens if I breach my bail conditions?
- How do I make a complaint about police?