Financial Abuse Service NSW

What is this service?

RLC’s Financial Abuse Service NSW provides free legal information and advice to people across NSW who have experienced financial abuse in an intimate partner relationship.

Financial abuse is a form of family and domestic violence. It is a pattern of control, exploitation, or sabotage of money, finances, and economic resources. It can happen to anyone, regardless of their financial capability.

We can provide confidential legal advice over the phone, in person or on a video call.

Financial abuse and money problems

We can assist with credit, debt and consumer law problems, including if your partner has:

  • accrued debts in your name (e.g. credit cards, loans, bills, fines, company or tax debts)
  • borrowed money from you and has not paid it back 
  • pressured you to sign a personal guarantee or make a false declaration 
  • used your personal information to open an account without your permission 
  • made you a director of a company that they control

We can also help if:

  • you want to fix information on your credit report and improve your credit score after experiencing financial abuse 
  • you are considering bankruptcy because your partner put you in debt

Financial abuse and family law

If you have experienced financial abuse, we can also provide advice about family law financial matters, such as:   

  • dividing your assets and debts in a property settlement
  • spousal maintenance if you have future financial needs
  • child support   
  • orders to allow you have exclusive occupation of the home   
  • your options if your partner has transferred money from a joint account  
  • setting aside transactions that defeat a Family Law Claim 
  • setting aside orders made by the Family Court

Please note: Our family law assistance is limited. We prioritise people who are unrepresented and not able to access family law advice elsewhere.  

How to contact us

By phone: Call us on 0481 730 344 Monday to Thursday between 9am and 1pm. If you leave a voicemail, please tell us your name and how we can safely contact you.  

Online: Use our confidential online form (below) 

You can ask for a free telephone interpreter if you need one.

If we can’t help solve your legal or non-legal problem, we will try to refer you to another service that can.  

We welcome referrals from community workers. Call us and we will be happy to discuss if we can help.


Service supported by:

The Financial Abuse Service NSW is supported by Ecstra Foundation, who provided a three-year grant for the policy, law reform and capacity building work. The legal arm of the service is a proud partner of CommBank Next Chapter; our Foundation Supporters are American Express, PwC Australia, Ashurst and Telstra.