Relief for renters during COVID-19: legislation must stop all evictions
On 24 March, Redfern Legal Centre wrote to the NSW Minister for Better Regulation and Innovation, the Hon Kevin Andrews MP, calling for urgent support for NSW tenants during the coronavirus pandemic.
The letter coincides with action coordinated by the Tenants Union of NSW, supported by around 100 other organisations including RLC, calling for a moratorium on evictions and other measures to support renters during COVID-19.
The #NoEvictionsCovid19 petition was delivered to the Prime Minister with more than 10,000 signatures calling for urgent government action to protect renters.
A temporary six-month stay on evictions 'for people experiencing financial hardship' was announced by the Prime Minister on 29 March. On 13 April, the NSW Government confirmed plans to implement a six-month moratorium on evictions to support tenants financially disadvantaged by the COVID-19 crisis.
Redfern Legal Centre's letter, sent by RLC CEO Joanna Shulman on behalf of RLC's Inner Sydney Tenants’ Advice and Advocacy Service (ISTAAS), calls on the NSW government to:
- Stop ALL evictions, not just evictions for rental arrears
- Cover ALL renters including social housing tenants, boarders and lodgers
- Defer unlawful threats of eviction
- Implement health and safety measures for renters in shared accommodation, and
- Consider how we prevent an unmanageable debt crisis caused by arrears
Download the letter