International Students: Effective complaints about education providers
Disputes over attendance, fees, refunds, and transferring between education institutions can be a complicated and legally cumbersome process to navigate for international students studying in Australia.
Without expert knowledge of legal rights and entitlements, international students are at risk of breaching the conditions of their student visa or incurring financial penalties.
In this webinar for solicitors and international student welfare advocates, you will gain some expert tips from a specialist practitioner, who will discuss which complaint mechanism to use, how the complaints processes work, and what outcomes are possible.
We will examine these options for your complaint:
- direct to the education provider (under the ESOS legislative framework)
- to the Overseas Students Ombudsman
- to the State or Territory Government Ombudsman
- to ASQA.
Sean Stimson, International Student Solicitor, Redfern Legal Centre
Thursday 23 March 2017
Can’t attend? Book a place (or subscribe) so you can watch the recording later.
Resources for this workshop available here the day before the workshop
Bookings and payments
You can book a single place at a webinar for $80 per person. This fee also entitles you to view the recording of the webinar later.
Alternatively you can book places using:
- an annual subscription - multiple places at multiple webinars, for a single annual fee.
- a concession - free of charge to eligible students, volunteers and others. People who have paid employment with student associations or as student advocates are not eligible for this concession. RLC will contact you to confirm your eligibility.
- Pay now by credit card: $0.30 non-refundable fee per person.
- Get an invoice and pay later, by cheque, direct bank transfer, or credit card. RLC will email you an invoice within 7 days, with details of how to pay.
- Book places using an annual subscription: Current subscribers are listed here. If you don't have a subscription yet, all you have to do is request one, and you can immediately start booking using it - you can pay later. See annual subscriptions.
- Book a free place as an eligible concession.
How to book
- Get the names and email addresses of each person you are booking a place for. (Individual emails are essential as it is the person's email address that gives them access to the webinar broadcast and the recording of the webinar).
- Click BOOK NOW. There will be an extra step if:
- Paying now by credit card: When you submit the form you will be redirected to our secure credit card payment system TryBooking.
- Using your Annual Subscription: When you submit the form you will be redirected to our webinar software Citrix GoToWebinar. You must complete the Citrix form too.
RLC will email each participant the details of how to log on to the webinar, a few days before the event.
Enquiries: Nick Manning on (02) 9698 7277 (Tuesdays to Fridays) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
COMMUNITY WORKER TRAINING
|Webinar technical details|
|Fees & bookings|
|Cancellations, Transfers, Credits & Refunds|