Resources: Navigating legal assistance in NSW
TRAINING: Navigating legal assistance in NSW
|The resources below complement our community worker training on this topic. Next webinar 16 May 2019.|
|Video recording: available June 2019|
|RLC can also run training at your agency – email Nick Manning email@example.com.|
Where does this information apply?
The information below only applies to NSW (Australia). It was last checked on 15 May 2019.
Law Access NSW (if unsure, start here)
- 1300 888 529 Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm
DIY research - plain language legal information online
For non-lawyers, online legal research can be tricky. An essential tip - Australia has 9 legal systems! Always check that any legal information applies in your state or territory. The following resources are for NSW:
- TenantsNSW website has a great set of tenants’ rights fact sheets.
- Law Access NSW
- Find Legal Answers Tool Kit is a collection of plain language books answering everyday questions about the law in NSW. Some of these books must be purchased, but some can be read online free of charge.
Directories of services
- Legal Aid NSW:
* Areas of law: www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/what-we-do.
* Locations: www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/contact-us/legal-aid-nsw-offices
- Community legal centres provide free, confidential advice on a wide range of matters.
- Tenants Advice & Advocacy Services are all over NSW and give free advice to tenants.
- Womens Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Services are all over NSW and give advice and support to women experiencing domestic violence. Ring 1800 938 227 for your local service.
- Find Legal Answers has some additional information.
Specific services for specific purposes
- Indigenous services:
Aboriginal Legal Service www.alsnswact.org.au ;
Wirringa Baiya Aboriginal Women's Legal Centre www.wirringabaiya.org.au
- Care and Protection Service www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/what-we-do/family-law/care-and-protection-services
- Centrelink issues: Welfare Rights Centre welfarerightscentre.org.au
- Children and young people:
Children’s Legal Service, Hotline for Under 18s: 1800 10 18 10 www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/what-we-do/criminal-law/children-and-young-people
Youth Law Australia https://yla.org.au
The Shopfront Youth Legal Service theshopfront.org
Marrickville Legal Centre www.mlc.org.au/youth
- Criminal law section of Legal Aid www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/what-we-do/criminal-law
- Debts & loans: Financial Rights Legal Centre financialrights.org.au
- Disability: Australian Centre for Disability Law disabilitylaw.org.au
- Family Law section of Legal Aid www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/what-we-do/family-law
- Immigration Advice and Rights Centre www.iarc.asn.au
- Intellectual Disability Rights Service www.idrs.org.au
- Mental Health Advocacy Service www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/what-we-do/civil-law/mental-health-advice
- Older people: Seniors Rights Service https://seniorsrightsservice.org.au/
- Prisoners Legal Service of Legal Aid www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/what-we-do/criminal-law/prisoners-legal-service
- Women's Legal Service NSW www.wlsnsw.org.au
The Powerpoint presentation on this topic is below (as a PDF file).