Factsheet No. 7: Lockdown laws: NSW COVID-19 rules and Police Powers in Greater Sydney
NSW's COVID-19 public heath orders are complex, and continue to evolve rapidly. It's important to know your rights and responsibilities and to stay informed about ongoing changes.
Factsheet revised 30 July 2021
It is an offence to not comply with NSW public health orders outlined in this factsheet.
Please note: this factsheet is for people currently in lockdown in Greater Sydney, and does not include the rules for those living outside of Greater Sydney. Part C of this factsheet includes additional rules specific to workers living in the Fairfield, Canterbury-Bankstown, Liverpool, Cumberland, Blacktown, Parramatta, Campbelltown and Georges River Local Government Areas.
Major changes to COVID-19 public health law were introduced on 30 July, including:
New LGA 'Affected Areas': Blacktown, Parramatta, Campbelltown and Georges River Local Government Areas have been added to the list of areas with tighter restrictions.
Some major new rules for Greater Sydney include:
- You must shop locally unless the food, goods or services are not available locally.
- If you are 18 years or older, and outside your home, you must carry evidence of your place of residence, and show it to police if requested.
- If you live alone you may nominate one designated family member or friend who can visit for companionship, travel in your car and exercise with you.
- Tradespeople, including cleaners, workers for alterations and additions to buildings, can enter your home for work under certain conditions.
- Work on construction sites can commence under certain circumstances.
LGAs of Fairfield, Canterbury-Bankstown, Liverpool, Blacktown, Cumberland, Parramatta, Campbelltown and Georges River:
- If you are 18 years and older, you must carry evidence of your place of residence, and show it to police if requested.
- You must wear a mask at all times when outside your home and when in your car.
- You can shop for goods or services for yourself, your household, your family and pets, but you must:
- remain within 5 km of your home, or
- if the items are not available within 5 km of your home, remain within your LGA, or
- if the items are not available in your LGA, buy them from the closest place in Greater Sydney from your home.
- Only one person per household can leave the home for shopping per day, unless this is not reasonably practicable. You may take your children if they are unable to remain at home.
See link to our up-to-date COVID-19 Factsheet. Our Factsheet is about lockdown laws for Greater Sydney only.
The NSW Government has also introduced lockdown rules for people living in Blayney, Cabonne and Orange Local Government Areas. Read the latest Public Health Order here.
For the latest information on COVID-19 and public health laws visit: https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/what-you-can-and-cant-do-under-rules
First published: 2 April 2020
Last revised: 30 July 2021