Volunteer solicitors work one evening advice shift weekly or fortnightly from 6–9pm. Applicants may apply in one of four legal areas, in accordance with their skills and experience:
- Police and government accountability (Mondays)
- Employment (Tuesdays)
- International students service (Wednesdays)
- Credit, debt and consumer complaints (Thursdays).
Volunteer lawyers are expected to attend on their rostered night. The Centre's evening advice service depends on the reliability of volunteers. While we understand that illness and other demands can make this difficult, we are unable to accommodate volunteers on the roster who cannot regularly attend.
- Staffing a face-to-face and telephone advice shift on a weekly or fortnightly basis
- Interviewing clients and providing advice
- Accurately recording advice given on advice forms
- Accurately obtaining and recording statistical information from clients
- Following Professional Indemnity Insurance requirements.
- A current NSW Practising Certificate
- 12 months post-admission experience
- Minimum 12 months commitment to prompt and reliable attendance
- A high level of communication skills
- A high level of personal motivation
- Whilst under supervision, an ability to provide accurate advice in face-to-face and telephone interviews
- A capacity to be accountable to RLC policies and procedures
- Sensitivity to diverse cultural and political backgrounds and a respect for multiculturalism and diversity.
How to apply
Applications for Volunteer Solicitor positions are open all year round. Once received, your application will be added to a queue. As positions become available, the supervising solicitor of that advice night will choose suitable applicants from queued applications. Applicants with experience relevant to RLC areas of law will be given priority.
Please complete the online application form and attach:
- A current resume
- A copy of your practising certificate
- A signed and dated confidentiality agreement (download form below).
Please note: due to the high volume of applications received, applicants will only be contacted when there are appropriate vacancies.