Position vacant: PLT Placement (Volunteer) – Housing Law and Homelessness Prevention
Redfern Legal Centre is seeking an enthusiastic Practical Legal Training Placement (minimum three days per week) to support the work of solicitors and advocates. Applications are now closed.
You will be supporting the work of the RLC Tenancy and Housing Team assisting vulnerable clients facing eviction and running cases that test laws protecting tenant rights. You will work closely with clients, taking instructions, giving advice (under supervision), liaising with government agencies and managing client files.
You will prepare matters for and attend hearings at the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal or other jurisdictions (with the possibility of representing clients). In addition, you will assist in the team’s policy and law reform work and develop an understanding of Tenancy Law, Social Housing Policies, Administrative Law and GIPA legislation.
- Completion of law degree and eligibility to commence Practical Legal Training.
- Demonstrated understanding of, and commitment, to social justice.
- Demonstrated experience in administration or customer service.
- Strong understanding of ethical practice issues affecting community legal centres, including confidentiality and conflict of interest issues.
- Available three to five days per week commencing November 2017 and availability to attend a three-day training course (dates TBA).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues affecting RLC’s client groups.
- Ability to speak a relevant community language.
Applicants must complete the online application form (applications are now closed), ticking 'PLT Placement - Housing Law & Homelessness Prevention', and attaching the following documents:
- A written application addressing each selection criteria under separate headings. Applications that do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
- A resumé including contact details, education, experience and two or three referees (include names, addresses and contact details).
- A signed confidentiality agreement (download below).
- A copy of your academic transcript.
All documents should be submitted in PDF format.
RLC welcomes applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from diverse cultural backgrounds and people with disability.
Applications are now closed. If you have queries about your lodged application, please email email@example.com.