Police Powers PLT Placement (Volunteer)
Redfern Legal Centre is seeking a PLT student (2-3 days/wk) to work with the Police Powers Solicitor at the Redfern Legal Centre.
Responsibilities include client intake, file review, general administration, research, legal drafting, interviewing clients, and follow up on client matters, under supervision of the Police Powers solicitor.
This role will include a strong focus on supporting the work of our ‘Safe and Sound’ campaign to reform strip search law in NSW. Expertise and interest in social media platforms and music festival culture would be extremely valuable.
Essential Selection Criteria
- Completion of law degree and eligibility to commence Practical Legal Training
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to social justice
- Demonstrated experience in administration and/or customer service
- Strong understanding of ethical practice issues affecting community legal centres, including confidentiality and conflict of interest
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues affecting RLC’s client groups
Applicants must complete the online application form, ticking the ‘PLT - Other’ checkbox, and uploading the following documents in PDF format:
- A cover letter addressing the selection criteria using separate numbered headings. Applications that do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
- A CV, including contact details, education, experience and two or three referees (include names, addresses and contact details).
- A copy of your academic transcript.
Please address your application to Samantha Lee. If you have any queries, or if you need help lodging your online application, email RLC Communications and Volunteer Manager Finn O’Keefe at email@example.com.
Applications close: 9am, 13 December 2019.