Applications for Volunteer Legal Assistants at RLC now open!
RLC is seeking Volunteer Legal Assistants available to commence June/July 2017.
Want to build your communication skills in a busy legal centre? RLC is seeking Volunteer Legal Assistants to help staff our front office and respond to requests from the public. This fast-paced volunteer role with give you valuable experience in client interviewing and assisting people in crisis, as well as increasing your knowledge of referral services and the practical application and constraints of the law.
- Legal Information and Referral. Legal Assistants staff the front office and respond to the requests of the public, clients and RLC staff. Legal Assistants provide legal information and referrals to other organisations. Legal Assistants may be required to provide non-legal referrals and assistance such as help filling in forms.
- Client Intake and Interviewing. Legal Assistants will ascertain the nature of enquiries, interview the client in preparation for their solicitor interview and create client appointments.
- Casework Follow-up. Legal Assistants draft letters and documents, contact clients, other solicitors, courts, government and community agencies and conduct research to support ongoing casework.
- Additional Duties. Legal Assistants help with administrative reception work including answering phones, delivering and collecting files and documents, faxing, photocopying, filing and maintaining legal information supplies.
- Completion of at least two years of a combined undergraduate law degree, one year of a graduate law degree, or relevant experience
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to social justice causes and volunteering in the community
- Demonstrated understanding of legal ethical issues affecting community legal centres including conflict of interest and maintaining client confidentiality
- Available for at least three full four-hour shifts per week (Monday to Friday 9am-1pm, Monday to Thursday 2pm-6pm, and Friday 2pm-5pm) for a minimum of twelve months. You will need to offer at least 3 possible shifts, and we will roster you on to one of those shifts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Experience in administration or customer service
- Ability to speak a community language.
How to apply
Complete the online application form, and attach:
- A statement addressing the selection criteria. Please number your responses in line with the numbered selection criteria above. Applications that do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
- A current resume
- A completed and signed Confidentiality Agreement (download below).
The selection process takes approximately 4-6 weeks following the deadline. Interviews will be held in June-July.
Applicants MUST apply via the online form, including a cover letter that addresses the selection criteria. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Inquiries: Communications & Volunteer Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org